How to study in Spain as a foreigner
Studying abroad is an enriching experience, which provides the opportunity to live in another country, learn another language and culture, while obtaining new academic knowledge. Spain is a very attractive destination for university studies, due to the quality of its educational system, the international prestige of its universities and the pleasant lifestyle.
If you are a foreigner and want to study in Spain, there are some requirements and steps to follow to achieve this. Below we give you all the keys.
Requirements to study in Spain
To be able to access university in Spain as a foreigner, it is necessary to meet the following requirements:
- Have previous studies equivalent to a Spanish high school diploma: that is, having completed at least 12 years of pre-university education in your country of origin.
- Homologate your high school degree to the Spanish degree: this is an essential procedure that is carried out before the Spanish Ministry of Education. It involves submitting an application along with official apostilled academic documents.
- Prove mastery of the Spanish language: through DELE certificates or other officially recognized exams. The required level will depend on each university.
- Pass the university entrance tests in Spain: the EBAU or the Specific Competence Tests (PCE), organized by the UNED.
- Formalize pre-registration and enrollment at the chosen university, within the deadlines established by each center.
- Obtain a student visa at the Spanish consulate in your country. Necessary for non-EU students.
- Have international medical insurance that covers your stay in Spain. Mandatory for visa processing.
Steps to follow to be able to study in Spain if you are a foreigner
If you meet the above requirements, these are the recommended steps to complete your studies in Spain:
- Choose university and career.
Explore the academic offerings and decide where and what you are going to study. To make your choice easier, you can be guided by international rankings such as the Shanghai one, which highlights the best Spanish universities.
- Approval your previous studies.
Start the process of homologation of your foreign high school degree before the Ministry of Education. Process the apostille of your academic documents at origin.
- Prove your level of Spanish.
If your mother tongue is not Spanish, you must certify your knowledge of the language through DELE diplomas or other official certifications recognized in Spain.
- Take the university entrance tests.
Contact the UNED to present the EBAU or the PCE. They are necessary exams to demonstrate that you have the necessary knowledge and access university studies in Spain.
- Formalize your university pre-registration
Once you have passed the access tests, you must carry out the pre-registration procedures at the university and career you have previously chosen. Each institution establishes its own deadlines.
- Process your student visa
If you are from outside the EU, you must apply for a student visa at the Spanish consulate or embassy in your country. Present it along with your health insurance.
- Organize your trip and accommodation
Buy plane tickets to arrive in Spain before the start of the course and arrange your accommodation near the university. Be well informed about the start dates of classes.
Why it is important to have an advisor
Carrying out all the procedures and meeting the requirements to study abroad can be complex. Therefore, it is highly recommended to have the advice of a specialized company such as Apply Golden Visa .
Thanks to our years of experience, you will obtain personalized advice, support throughout the entire process and the peace of mind of having a team that will ensure that you successfully comply with all the legal and academic requirements to study in Spain.
By completing these steps and requirements with professional help, you will be prepared to begin your higher studies in Spain. We wish you much success in this academic and life experience.